Sunday, July 28, 2013

Marriage From God's View: Part 12: The Song of Songs, Chapter 7

"Why are you looking
   at the Shulammite,
as you look at the dance
   of the two camps?
How beautiful are
   your sandaled feet, princess!
The curves of your thighs are
   like jewelry,
the handiwork of a master.
Your navel is a rounded bowl;
it never lacks mixed wine.
Your waist is a mound of wheat
surrounded by lilies.
Your breasts are like two fawns,
twins of a gazelle.
Your neck is like a tower
  of ivory,
your eyes like pools in Heshbon
by the gate of Bath-rabbim.
Your nose is like the tower
   of Lebanon
looking toward Damascus.
Your head crowns you
   like Mount Carmel,
the hair of your head
   like purple cloth---
a king could be held captive
   in your tresses.
How beautiful you are
   and how pleasant,
my love, with such delights!
Your stature is like a palm tree;
your breasts are clusters
   of fruit.
I said, 'I will climb
   the palm tree
and take hold of its fruit.'
May your breasts be like clusters
   of grapes,
and the fragrance of your breath
   like apricots.
Your mouth is like fine wine---
flowing smoothly for my love
gliding past my lips and teeth!"

Here again we have the bridegroom remarking over his love's beauty:  her feet, the curves of her thighs, her navel, waist, breasts (He spends a lot of time describing them.), neck, eyes, nose, head, hair, and even her breath and mouth.  He misses and omits nothing of her physique. 

"I belong to my love,
and his desire is for me.
Come, my love,
let's go to the field;
let's spend the night
   among the henna blossoms.
Let's go early to the vineyards;
let's see if the vine has budded,
if the blossom has opened,
if the pomegranates are
   in bloom.
There I will give you my love.
The mandrakes give off
   a fragrance,
and at our doors is
   every delicacy---
new as well as old.
I have treasured them up
   for you, my love."

Here in the most literal sense, she is inviting him to spend the night with her in an open field among the stars, to, in essence, switch up their scenery.  Some commentaries suggest she is referring to his country house, but I take it in the literal sense because I believe the intention is that the readers understand it as written and not be required to research or guess what is meant.  In keeping with that idea, I see where the entire Song of Songs could be an allegory for Christ and His Church, but I do not believe that is what God intended.  I believe this book is His model for what  the physical aspects of a Christian marriage should be.  Period.  In all my church-going years, I can not recall a pastor speaking on any part of this book.  I think it is one that many Christians ignore or try to pretend doesn't exist because they are embarrassed by it; but, they need to remember that God inspired it to be written just as He did the other 65 books of the Bible.  God created sex and all of its components for marriage; it is mankind that has bastardized and trivialized it.

Next:  The final chapter: Chapter 8

No comments:

Post a Comment