Wednesday, March 21, 2012

That Nasty "C" Word: Cancer

Cancer is a hideous disease.  I have been cancer free nearly five years; you can read about that here.  Then, in January of this year, my dad called.  After a routine colonoscopy my 84 year-old father was diagnosed with the same cancer I had beaten:  colon.  His was on the opposite side than mine and on the wall rather than a tumor that perforated the colon.  On March 1 he had surgery and was home 5 days later.  He will not need chemo.  It is nothing short of a miracle for someone his age to have progressed as he has.  Thank God!


The lesson is to listen to your body. Notice any changes that don't seem right.  When you should have routine tests, have them.  Do not linger.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Ginger, I am so sorry but so glad that he is doing do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate cancer. We have lost so many friends to it. Glad both you and your dad are ok!


    And I thiiiink I know what church you might be referring to on my post today and YES it would have opened a can of worms. But i totally agree....everyone's situation is different and I am 100% certain you are a fantastic mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog... we are sad to see my grandma go... but so ultimately happy for her!

    I am just now coming to your blog for the first time (I am SO bad about blog reading most days!). What an encouragement you (and your father) are in getting through this cancer stuff! My Father-in-law had Esophageal cancer last year and it was truly a scary experience. He is currently "cancer free" - though I know they don't label it as such for a # of years running... but we are praying that he stays that way!! I'll have to peruse your blog some more as I have time!

    ReplyDelete