Sunday, August 12, 2012

DIY Project: Kitchen Tiles

I have long wanted to try my hand at tiling my kitchen over the stove and sink, but I was always scared to do so.  I wish I had plunged in sooner.  Armed with a $30 credit from Home Depot, I picked out tile squares and the grout and matting the salesman directed me to.  For $51, here is what I was able to accomplish.

Here is my ugly backsplash above the stove:  a white metal sheet.


Here is what I was able to do in about an hour:


And, at the end of two hours:  this---I had bought 6 12x12 tile squares and had enough left over to do this 
ugly, white wall behind the sink.


I still have matting and grout left if I want to tile something else.

7 comments:

  1. You did an awesome job!! I need to replace the piece behind my sink and you have inspired me to do it myself...i can't wait forever for my husband to get to it!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Ginger, that looks great!!!! LOVE that tile, BTW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah! This is great! We doubt our human can do this!

    The backsplash is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks amazing! Now when are you free to do OUR kitchen???

    Meow from all of us. Au, Target and Guido.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this turned out awesome ginger!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that looks so much better! I like that you chose to use Mosaic tiles for your backsplash. It definitely made the area livelier and more cheerful, very much unlike the metal sheet, which seemed dull and lifeless. It’s a huge difference, Ginger, and from where I stand, you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Great job, Ginger! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete