Friday, March 28, 2014

The Stranglehold of Worry

Where does worry get us?  Over the years I have gotten better; in my younger days I was a devout pessimist who worried incessantly.  Whatever could go wrong, would go wrong, in my estimation. Yet, my worst-case imagined scenario never materialized.  I didn't know any better at the time, but worry is not biblical; in fact, it is the antithesis of faith.

 Matthew 6:27 admonishes us:  "Can any one of you add a moment to your lifespan by worrying?"


Isaiah 26:3 tells us:  "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts on You."

There are numerous other verses that pertain to the detriment of worrying.  The point that Christians have to realize is that nothing that happens to us is a surprise to God.  The God of the universe is omniscient.  We all have our stumbling blocks and attacks because we live in a fallen, decrepit world.  

A high school friend Annie has been an incredible encouragement to me as she has chronicled her family's journey of faith through several unemployments.  We all have "life crud" that threatens to derail us.  It is how we choose to deal with that crud that defines us, shapes us.

My mantra is "Look up; always look up."  That is because every answer that we need is found in God.....if we seek Him and trust in Him everyday.  I find I have to rely on Him moment-by-moment many days because of the depravity around me.

To paraphrase the verse from Matthew again:  How has worrying helped you?  How has it changed your circumstance?

No comments:

Post a Comment