Monday, January 2, 2017

Is the glass half full or half empty?

This past summer, I saw something a colleague was making called a "Blessing Jar."  Its concept is to write down one blessing a day for the year and look at all of them on New Year's Eve.  I like that idea because it keeps the focus on blessings.  It's all a matter of perspective.  I have thought how I will respond when I got back to work tomorrow and people ask how my break was.  Do I focus on Dad's cancer diagnosis?  Or, do I focus on the blessings of time I spent with him and the knowledge that no matter when we are separated, it's just for my time left on earth.  I have the knowledge of eternal life with him in heaven.  

Today, that colleague reminded me of that blessing jar, so I began to look at what I have around the house.  I am a rabid recycler, so I had this plastic jug with kitten chow in it.  It seemed like the perfect thing.


I decided I wanted something attached to it for the strips of paper because I didn't want to be looking for paper.  So, I used a gift bag (I do save them all to reuse!)  Then, I found this angel journal someone had given me.  Voila!  I cut those sheets into strips to put in the bag.  Each day, I take one out and put the blessing on it:




So, in spite of the uncertainty of this year, I am choosing to focus on daily blessings. I think that will help with my overall outlook.

So, when someone asks me tomorrow how my break was, I will respond, "We found out Dad does have cancer, but God is so good at giving us some great times.  I look forward to more this year."  To focus on anything else will break my heart and make me immobile.

Is your glass half full, or is it half empty?

No comments:

Post a Comment