Tuesday, March 28, 2017

You think no one is watching

At the beginning of last school year, I positioned myself near the Lower Academy car rider entrance to shepherd the students to the cafeteria in the morning so their teachers could get ready to receive them.  I did the same this year.  For the last two weeks or so,  I have taken an interest in a kindergartner who is a "challenge."  Let's leave it at that.  I had noticed him running, yes, running, down the hall.  I would stop him and make him start over a ways back so he could practice walking correctly.  When I saw him walk down normally by himself, I took him to his classroom and bragged on him to his teachers.  Well, that's no big deal, right?

Wrong!  At least to him.  He came in Monday morning, stopped, opened his book bag and said, "I have something for you."



Wow!  Talk about being blown away!  I asked him if he had this at home or if someone gave it to him.  He replied that he had it at home.  I imagine him looking around his room or house for something he thought would be appropriate.  Kinda reminded me of the widow's mite in the Bible.

It's hard....really hard some days....teaching in a public school...it really doesn't matter which one; they ALL have their various challenges.  Heck, private school is no picnic either (I will blog about that helacious year another time.)

Anyway, I try to think "What would Jesus Do?" in most circumstances.  I fail miserably most days, but I guess I got it right with this little fella.  For those who have asked, no, I don't teach him.  He's just a random child in the hall---random to me, but not to Jesus.  Jesus knows him well, and I suppose I filled some void in this child's life.

"Jesus--the Rogue"---Someone asked me today what "rogue" means.  I know that word well; it is someone who goes against the establishment or the established order (my definition).  Of course, Jesus *was* a rogue because he upset the order of the pharisees.  I see myself as a rogue, too.  Not at work, though; I'm too *silver* for that. (http://onedayatatime-ginger.blogspot.com/2016/08/im-silver.html But outside work.

Yes, I am wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment