Friday, July 5, 2013

Holding our tongues

I have let this little blog die over the last year because I didn't have the interest in writing and it had become "just another thing to do."   Lately I have found a new interest in writing, so I will give it another shot, though with my schedule, I am not sure how often it will be.

Lately, I have been doing a lot of self-reflection and seeking God.  I try to consult Him everyday for guidance and revelation.  Like most people, my life is inordinately stressful, and I hate that.  Why does it have to be that way?   I told someone recently that it seems we are the rats on the proverbial wheel and we just keep spinning, spinning, and spinning, and getting nowhere.  There has to be more, and so I am seeking Him for that "more".

One of the byproducts of that stressful life is complaining, which is rampant in my circle.  Proverbs 10:19 tells us that "Where there are many words, sin is unavoidable, but the one who controls his lips is wise."  In my supplemental reading I have encountered, "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut," and this one has gone around for years: "Keep your mouth shut and show your good sense."

All this brings me to this question:  is it wrong of us to "vent" to another person, say a best friend or a spouse?  Isn't that what spouses are for (as an example)?  Or, should we solely spill our guts to the One who already reads our minds, knows our hearts?


2 comments:

  1. we live among us
    we need people
    we were never designed to go it alone
    i figure insularity and 'independence' have made us selfish, over-concerned with ourselves, and under-concerned with others
    it is vital that we feel we can share our hearts, without fear of condemnation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good take on it. Maybe this is in the realm of not gossiping then, because I believe we do need one or two people we can rely on.

    ReplyDelete