Friday, July 18, 2008

Thank You, God

This post is a joyous one for me. Let me preface by saying my 14 year-old son and I have had a strained relationship for years. He is extremely strong-willed and rebellious. His father and I separated in 1998 and divorced in 2000 (another very long story to come later). His father left town nearly 6 years ago without telling our son even goodbye. He moved back to Colorado. Since then my son has gotten two Christmas cards and $10 for Christmas the last time. No birthday. No child support. Nada. I think this has a lot to do with his attitude.

Well, he is very, very close to my father and spends a lot of time an hour away at my parents' house. He goes every other weekend and for much of his school breaks. He came home today after 2.5 weeks with them while I recuperated. Anyway, today he helped me get my classroom ready for school (I return Thursday to a year-round school.) with no complaints. He is insanely jealous of our pets (a lab and two cats, one of whom is 19). Yet, tonight he has lain on the couch all night with the 19 year-old cat in his lap. We have had great conversations and he even allowed me to read the Bible and pray. He usually hums, makes noises, or other things. Thank you, God, for what I see as a breakthrough. My dad has been counseling him like crazy every chance he gets.

God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment