Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Why are we here?

Why are we here--as in "Why are we on this earth"?  Some would say we are here to have as much fun and get as much as we can while we are here.  Very selfish, self-absorbed people feel this way. I used to wonder why I was born.  It has only become clear to me in the last few years that we are here to help others.  This is a harsh, cruel world, and it is just getting worse.  At times I feel I am on the outside looking in.  I see people obsessed with the latest gadgets and getting, getting, getting.  A couple of weeks ago there was a picture making the rounds on Facebook of a woman's Christmas tree that appeared to have all of Walmart under it.  She bragged on how all of that loot was for her handful of kids.  She defended her gluttony by saying she bought gifts throughout the year to get to this point.  So??  What??  That makes it alright?  There are kids going without Christmas gifts this year, and there are entire families homeless.  THAT is reality.  Last week our social worker told me that some of the angels on our angel tree were getting only what we provided; their mothers or families had nothing else to give them. So, while it takes that woman's kids hours to open their presents, there are those with nothing or those with nothing beyond what someone provided for the family.

Today I read of a Dominos pizza delivery woman in Minnesota who started a Gofundme page for a homeless man who was living in a camper with no electricity or water.  That woman, who probably works paycheck to paycheck herself, was the impetus for that man now having a new home funded through donations to that website.  That is why we are here--to do what we can for the least among us.  For, as Jesus said, "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40)

No comments:

Post a Comment