Friday, November 25, 2016

A Simple Life

Today is Black Friday, a day retailers use to get their hands on Americans' money.  They seemingly offer great deals that bribe shoppers into braving crowds to climb over their fellow shoppers and grab whatever what-not is offered at such a reduced price as to cause bedlam in many areas.

Leave.me.out.  I have never partaken of Black Friday.  There is no sale on this earth that would bribe me into the hordes of frenzied mobs for a computer, tv, or anything else.  

When my son was small, yes, of course, I bought for him, but never on this day.  The older I get, the more I long for simplicity in all areas of my life.  My son is grown now and living in Colorado at the moment, so I will send him money and his favorite red velvet brownies.  No one can buy for my mother, so my parents will probably get a food gift card to one of their favorite fast food restaurants in Walterboro.  I have no one to "buy for," and that makes the holiday easier.

I was supposed to work three hours today with my online tutoring; I haven't tutored since July.  My mentoring duties keep me as busy as I want during the week.  But, I cancelled all the hours I had scheduled for this weekend, forfeiting about $60.  It's not about the money.   I don't want anything that is going to stress me.  I am aiming to simplify my life right now, so I am going to cull through more "stuff" to see what I can throw away, donate, and recycle. 

In keeping with my plan to simplify, I decorated.  I opted for simply the tree, no village on the mantel this year or Santa collection on the buffet.  The older I get, the more I live in the past.  This white tree harkens back to the one of my childhood in the late '60s/early '70s.  I strategically chose the ornaments to put on it; these elves have been with me since I was about 3; some are homemade from my childhood/teens.  That was such a simple time, and one that I anticipate returning to when I retire next summer.  








This takes me to all I want for Christmas:  nothing but time with my parents, fur babies, and friends.  To me, that would be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment