Saturday, November 5, 2016

Ingratitude vs. Staying Grounded

If you have read this blog for any length of time (and I imagine it's just a few of you), then you know I use it to vent and bear witness to what God has done in my life.  There is something that has been in my craw for over a year now, and I have mulled over how to best express it.  I think the title "Ingratitude" is appropriate for this post.  

Let me begin by saying there are two ways I am going to approach this topic of ingratitude:  from the Christian perspective and from the non-believer perspective.  I'll begin with the Christian.  James 1:16-17 tells me, 
         
                   "Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers.  Every good and perfect gift is from above, 
          coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no change or 
          shifting shadow."

As a Christian, I embrace this wholeheartedly.  Every intangible gift I have been given came from God through people.....the gift of being cancer-free even after the tumor had perforated my colon, my dad's clean colon cancer surgery 4 years after mine, three jobs I dearly love----God orchestrated them all.  Since I believe this, I praise Him daily and give Him the glory.

Now, I'll take that a step further.  Colossians 3:22-24 tells me, 

                   "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything,, not only to please them while they are watching, but with sincerity of heart and fear of the Lord.  Whatever you do, work at it with your whole being, for the Lord and not for men, because you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as your reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

Now, I embrace this as well.  I have already written on this blog about being a "silver," meaning duty, responsibility, and punctuality are vital parts of my genetic make-up.  I have rarely questioned authority, but simply done as I was told.  To me, not to do so is the height of arrogance.  I know people who, almost on a daily basis, are complainers.  They have what my bff calls "a bird's nest on the ground," yet they are constant whiners.  One is a professing Christian, and I am trying to give her grace, to not judge her, because maybe she doesn't know the verse from Colossians. Besides, it's not my place to judge.  The other is not a professing Christian.

That takes me to another angle, albeit not a Christian one.  What happened to people just being grateful for what they have?  

Let that sink in a minute........

I believe God is using one of these people to remind me from whence I came.....to keep me humble so arrogance doesn't creep into me.  I am retiring this year after 29 years of teaching.  I have worked for some "doozies" and in some toxic situations, so I have a perspective of nearly 30 years.  I am finally back in a peaceful, cooperative environment, but I thank God for keeping me humble by not letting me forget from whence I came.  Gratitude is everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment