Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunday Savings

I like to go to the stores on Sunday to get the good sales before everything is gone. Today I made two runs to Walgreens, one before church and one after. Here was one transaction: The advertised savings were $6, and I used $7.20 in coupons for a total savings of $13.20 OOP I paid $4.92. How did I get all of this for that? Here is the breakdown:
Ragu: 4 @ $2 each = $8.00
Skippy: 2 @ $2 each= $4.00
Coupons used: RR for $5.00
Skippy .60
Ragu .60
Ragu 1.00
Total OOP: $4.92 PLUS I EARNED A REGISTER REWARD FOR $6.00!!

Here is the second transaction:

2 Cheez-Its: $1.00 each= $2.00

2 Poptarts: $2.00 each= $4.00

2 Keebler Cookies: $2.00 each=$4.00

Coupons used: $1.00 Cheez-It

$1.00 Keebler

.55 Keebler

.75 Poptarts

Advertised Savings: $9.56

Coupon Savings: 3.30

Total Savings: $12.86

OOP: $6.80 PLUS I EARNED THE $5.00 REGISTER REWARD I USED ABOVE.

So, I got all of the above for $11.72 OOP. Plus, I still have the $6 Register Reward. When I left the second time, the cashier said she'd see me when I plotted my next strategy.

You might think this is all we eat, but I have a freezer full of frozen fruit for smoothies, chicken, waffles, and leftovers. I have plenty of canned veggies, and I go to the farmer's market once a week for fresh veggies. Obviously I am just highlighting major purchases here. Since peanut butter and pasta sauce is something I use a lot of, I believe in stockpiling when it is on sale.

3 comments:

  1. Do your sales go even lower on Sundays? Our new sales go into affect on Wednesdays. I shop on Tuesdays but the sales remain the same all week. I shop on Tuesday because when I get my sale ads in the mail (also on Tuesday), I have a whole week to scout for coupons and really think about my menu for the next week and how I can get the most for my dollar! Works out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    No, unfortunately our sales don't go lower on Sundays. Our Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid ads start then, so when I go there, I go on Sundays because if they sell out of something, they rarely get it back in later in the week. CVS is really bad about that. I am up there when the doors open at 8AM.

    Our Bi-Lo and Food Lion sales begin on Wednesday, and PUblix begins on Thursday. I don't have any problem getting what I want there no matter when I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed to said that CVS runs out, the CVS up here will give rainchecks even for extra care bucks items. Just make sure the write the ECB items number on the raincheck. When you buy that item later, they will print out the ECB for you at the register. I did it when the run out of an item that was on sale for 3 days only and used it a week later. So remember to get a raincheck!! Happy saving!!

    ReplyDelete